Date: 12/18/17 12:32 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Axehead Lake Again Monday 12-18-17
Hello Bird People,

I rec'd an email from Suzanne C saying that yesterday afternoon a guy
with a dog got too close to some of the Axehead Lake Canada Geese
which caused the nearest Geese to take off which led to a chain
reaction with all the Geese flying away. This would explain why
although 150 Geese had returned by 2 p.m. none were there for my 3:45
p.m. visit.

But the Geese must have returned later as when I arrived today at 7:25
a.m. there were between
400 & 450 Canada Geese on the now ice free lake. Among the Geese were
the 2 previously reported young BLUE GEESE but not the young white
Snow Goose. Also as mentioned before one of the young Blue Geese has
almost an all white head while the other only has the start of a white
head. Once again you don't have a lot of time to view the Geese as
within 15 min half were gone & by 7:52 all had left including the 2
Blue Geese which left at about 7:50 a.m. Once they start leaving it's
a continuous process until only the 1 Canada Goose that never leaves
remains.

The only other water birds here today were 32 Mallards & the single
Coot. The last remaining diving duck seen yesterday (the Lesser Scaup)
was gone even though all the ice had melted.

If you wish to try & find the White & Blue Snow Geese it seems that
you must be present in the 1st 30 min of the a.m. (better yet the 1st
15 min) or the end of the afternoon.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the continuing Blue Geese & I guess Runner-Up can
be the lone Coot.
(it's tough to give out awards when you only see 4 species of birds!)

Al Stokie
In Cook County trying trying to solve the mystery of Goose time scheduling

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: