Date: 12/6/17 7:58 pm
From: Kay Regester <kayregester...> [venturacobirding] <venturacobirding-noreply...>
Subject: [venturacobirding] Rincon this pm.
Hi, all. I drove up the Rincon today to check out the beach at low tide.
driving Southbound. Beach extended about 150 feet at 4 pm. Many hundreds
of birds were feeding and bathing (!) here. Willets in the high hundreds,
many small peeps, LB Curlew, BB Plover, etc. Scanning from inside the car
to avoid ash so did not count carefully or do an ebird list.

On the other hand, from Faria on down (where the bluffs were burned to the
101) shorebirds were very sparse. Black ash was easily seen in the small
surf. I think the shorebirds were moving up the beach to escape
unfavorable conditions, and are bunching up.

There might be some rare gulls in there as well. I did not get out the
scope to be sure. So if you feel like it, put on your handy birding
accessory - a respirator- for these conditions.

Widely scattered fires are continuing along the Rincon. It seems to me,
now more than ever, that the Christmas Bird Count may tell us something
about bird dispersal during wildfires.

*Kay Regester*
*Ventura, Ca*

Join us on Facebook!