Date: 12/6/17 7:24 pm
From: 'Damien J. Simbeck' <TNbarredowl...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] Three loons at Elk River
Limestone County

I spent the day working on TVA properties near the mouth of Elk River today. Our access was by boat, so I got to spend a bit of time with the many fish-eating birds at the mouth of the river. Included there were 37 Common Loons, 1 Pacific Loon and 1 Red-throated Loon. Also present were approximately 500 AW Pelicans, 40 cormorants, 70 Bonaparte's Gulls and 18 Pied-billed Grebes. The shad population in that area must be great. Ducks near the mouth included 8 Lesser Scaup, 6 Bufflehead and a Hooded Merganser. Land-based birds included an Orange-crowned Warbler. Unfortunately, there is no land-based access site to view the birds near the mouth.

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL

Ornithological Society (AOS) and is provided
as a service to the birding community. AOS
does not endorse the views or opinions expressed
by the members of this discussion group. Nor
does AOS support or endorse the advertising
provided by the Yahoo Groups list service.

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
(Yahoo! ID required)