Date: 12/6/17 6:51 pm
From: Tim Rodenkirk <timrodenkirk...>
Subject: [obol] Curry Merlits 12/6/2017
I scouted Port Orford a bit today as I am the compiler for the Christmas
Bird Count there now coming up on the 17th of December (Sunday). Lotsa
good birds around but I concentrated on the town. I did hear a few Red
Crossbills fly-over but was not in good habitat for them as I was mostly
walking neighborhoods today. The west end of the count would be a great
area to find a White-winged Crossbill with the latest invasion (the Port
Orford Heads area). Anyhow just wanted to report that the best birds of the
day were early and off Rocky Point and other points on the SE edge of the
count. I saw 14 ANCIENT MURRELETS and 2 MARBLED MURRELETS. I scoped the
ocean at each spot for like 10 minutes so who knows how may Ancients were
around, they were easy to find for the little time I spent for sure. I was
mostly just trying to get a feel for the downtown area. A surprise was 6
Aleutian Cacklers that flew right over me when I was downtown. Seems crazy
to have one person cover an area like Floras Lake that has so much
potential but I guess it is just to far for most birders to get to (looks
like the usual 15 for the count this year). If you want to come south and
help out let me know- hope the sunny weather continues, it hit 65 in Coos
Bay today and was in the 60s in Port Orford also : )

Merry CBCing!!
Tim Rodenkirk
Coos Bay

Join us on Facebook!