Date: 12/6/17 6:42 pm
From: Jeff Fleischer <dmarc-noreply...> (Redacted sender raptorrunner97321 for DMARC)
Subject: [obol] Winter Raptor Survey Project route vacancies
Hi Everyone,

The 14th annual Winter Raptor Survey Project sponsored by the East Cascades Audubon Society of Bend, OR got underway December 1. During this period of time, the project has grown to just a few routes shy of 300 routes covering more than 16,000 miles of transects throughout Oregon and Idaho, and along the Columbia River portion of Washington and the California portion of the Klamath Basin. More than 225 primary survey volunteers are now actively surveying established routes on a once a month basis during December through February.

I am writing tonight to advertise a few routes that need someone to adopt them this winter :). Here is the list:

1. Portland North route - this route covers the area from I-205 west to the Willamette River and includes the area around the Portland airport and Smith and Bybee Lakes, a fairly urbanized route. It is roughly 50 miles in length and usually takes 5-7 hours to complete, including walking time around Smith and Bybee Lakes.

2. Wilsonville route - this route is roughly 60 miles long and takes about 4 hours to complete, winding through a lot of urban/suburban areas with pockets of favorable habitat for birds of prey

3. Pendleton route - this is a full day affair, covering roughly 100 miles through excellent eastern Oregon raptor habitat

4. Curry County North route - as the name implies, this coastal route starts at the Coos/Curry County line and covers New Lake, Floras Lake, Cape Blanco, all the way south to Elk River. It is roughly 55 miles long and would take around 4 hours to survey

5. Juntura - this eastern Oregon route is located midway between Burns and Ontario along Hwy 20. It is about 40 miles long and would take about 4 hours to complete, covering the agricultural area around Juntura and finishing north around Beulah Reservoir.

If anyone is interested in taking on one of these routes this winter, please email me directly and I will fill you in on the rest of the details to get you started this month. You will only need to do one survey per month through February and you can choose a time to do the survey that best fits your own life schedule each month. Thank you for any help that you can provide to fill these routes :)_

Jeff Fleischer
Project Coordinator
Winter Raptor Survey Project
East Cascades Audubon Society - Bend, ORPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!