Date: 12/6/17 6:24 pm
From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10...>
Subject: [wisb] Statewide Snowy Owl update
Approximately 141 Snowy Owls have been reported across 55 of 72 Wisconsin counties as of Dec 6. New reports are coming in at a moderate though not blistering pace. We've well surpassed the 2015-16 flight and are more on par with the 2014-15 and 2011-12 flights at this point. 2013-14 was also a major irruption year but the main surge came after this date.

I've yet to see a photo or specimen proving a non-juvenile bird so far this year, which reinforces the notion that this flight is dominated by young of the year on the heels of a very successful breeding season in Arctic Canada.

Last but not least, their health has been a mixed bag. Most are definitely faring better than 2015-16 but the number found weak, road-killed, or otherwise in poor condition has not been insignificant. Perhaps this is not surprising given the prevalence of inexperienced, juvenile birds.

As always, find more info at http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/SnowyOwls.html

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady