Date: 12/6/17 3:48 pm
From: Drew Panko via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Red Tail Migration Numbers
It is my contention that RTs are facilitative migrants in our area
(NY,CT,MA....).  They will move, but only when conditions become harsh.

The most northern populations (Canada, ME, NS, etc) are obligatory
migrants and all will move every year.  They will also go further south.

For our facilitative migrants, the females leave first, and travel
further south.  The males stay behind until significant snow cover stays
long enough to discourage them, at which point they will move south but
only a minor distance.  During some winter thaws some will return.

In the 70's & 80's I'd see courtship behavior start up in Feb or March.
Now it is not unusual to see it on Christmas Counts! Even the females
are not leaving the NYC/Westchester/CT area until the snow flies and
even persisting through mild winters.

I have no data to support the above, just trying to make sense of daily
observations over the years.

Drew