Date: 12/6/17 3:10 pm
From: 'C or M Johnstone' <anhinga...> [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [nflbirds] Black-headed Gull update
For those of you who didn't see Kim Leedom's recent eBird report, a
"Bonaparte's Gull" seen on Dec. 3 during a refuge tour on the south end of
Mounds #3, turned out to be the Black-headed Gull. I was leading the tour
on Dec. 3, and didn't exercise due diligence on the gull. After finding
the Black-headed yesterday, I asked Kim, who was on the tour, if she had
photos of the gull seen on Mounds. She did not, but her mother - also on
the tour - did, and at least one of the photos is diagnostic for
Black-headed and is included on Kim's eBird checklist for 12/3. Another
checklist from that day by Eary Warren also shows the gull, but I'm not
sure the version on eBird is diagnostic.

So, the south end of Mounds #3 is another potential hang out for the
Black-headed. I'm sorry for the carelessness on Sunday, I may have cost
some folks a lifer, but thanks to Kim and her mother for getting this
right. Matt Johnstone

Join us on Facebook!