Date: 12/6/17 3:09 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] White-winged Crossbill at Ft Stevens
I spent the morning sorting through crossbills at Ft Stevens. I found
lots of RED CROSSBILLS, at least 3 types (more probably 4). I saw red
ones and pink ones and orange ones and even a bright yellow one, but out
the many of crossbills I looked at, only one was definitively a
WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILL. It was sitting atop a spruce tree next to the
road about halfway between Battery Russell and Parking Lot A.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/9068818

I may have seen a second one across from Battery Russell in the tree
tops, but could not confirm.

There is a very cooperative flock of large-bill Red Crossbills working
the pine trees in the Battery Russell parking and crossbills were fairly
easy to locate at Coffenburry Lake and the historical area as well.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR

Join us on Facebook!