Date: 12/6/17 1:40 pm
Subject: Now Booking for Spring 2018 Pelagic Trips
I want to make birders aware that we are now taking reservations for pelagic trips from Hatteras next Spring.

The dates we have scheduled so far include the following:

Saturday, May 19 (weather date next day)
May 23 to May 31- trips daily
June 1 to June 9-trips daily

We will be running some summer dates, but right now those are still TBA, hopefully early next year. It is also possible that we could add more spring dates if there is a demand.

We also offer birding charters (year round), as we have our own boat and it can be affordable for as few as 8 or 9 people.

Spring is a popular time for our pelagic trips here because of the variety of species that occur. In addition to the Black-capped Petrel, there are three other gadfly petrels that occur. We also see up to five species of shearwaters and three or more species of storm-petrels on some trips. All three jaegers can be found in spring, and our best count of South Polar Skua comes from spring. May and June is also the best time to see several species that are rarely (some almost never) encountered in summer. These birds include Fea’s Petrel, Sooty Shearwater, Leach’s Storm-Petrel, Red-billed Tropicbird, and Arctic Tern.

Our offering of so many trips in succession makes this the best chance for seeing rarities if you put enough time in. Bermuda Petrel and European Storm-Petrel are a couple of very rare visitors that also turn up in spring.

We have been running pelagic trips here in Hatteras every year since 1994. In 2009 we ran a record 19 consecutive pelagic trips in late May and early June, all on our own boat. We have run nearly 200 spring trips since 2006.

To find out more about how to sign up, please visit our website- www.seabirding.com

To read trip reports (winter, spring, summer, and fall) from over 200 trips since early 2012, check out our blog site- seabirding.blogspot.com

Just realize every year is different, so it’s a good idea to look at trips from more than one year. Pelagic trips are one of the last frontiers in birding. We know a lot more now than we used to, but we are still learning more each year, and that is part of what makes it fun. Your chances to see something you really don’t expect are probably greater offshore than most places.

I hope some of you are encouraged to come out on these trips. Our website should get you started, but you can also call me at (252) 986-1363 if you have questions about what we do or how to prepare.

Thanks,

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC

Join us on Facebook!