Date: 12/6/17 12:58 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET NE Lake County-Waukegan, Illinois Beach South & North Point Marina/State Line Beach Wed 12-6-17
Hello Bird People,

Normally I cover Lake County twice a week but it's been about 10 days
since my last visit so I was overdue for this visit. I was joined at
all 3 locations by WGN TV celebrity birder Andy Stewart fresh from his
triumphal performance on last night's TV news.

Waukegan Beach, Park & Part Of The Harbor (7-7:45 a.m.)

Canada Goose (7 fly-bys & 35 on the lawns)
Mallard (2 on the lake & 2 in the harbor)
Bufflehead (4-5 males in the harbor)
Hooded Merganser (2 in the harbor)
Red Breasted Merganser (1 in the lake & 4 in the harbor)
Coots (about 50 seen in the distance in the harbor)
Sandhill Crane (7 flying south)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (few each)

Illinois Beach South Unit (2 stops:8-8:15 a.m. & 10:15-11 a.m.)

RED THROATED LOON (1 in the lake)
Redhead/Scaup (mostly Greater)(A huge flock of between 1500 & 1800
with most being Redheads)
LONG TAILED DUCK (2-F but not together)
Bufflehead (1-M with the large flock & 3 by themselves)
Goldeneye (1-M & 2-F)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-IM)
Ring Billed & Herring Gulls (about 35 flying by)

North Point Marina Harbor. Lake Michigan & State Line Beach (8:45-10 a.m.)

Loon Species? (1 flying south, probably a Common Loon based on size alone)
Mallard (4 in harbor)
Greater Scaup (2-F in the harbor)
CANVASBACK (1-F in the north harbor)
Bufflehead (1-M in the harbor)
Red Breasted Merganser (200 in the lake off of State Line Beach & 4 in
the harbor)
Sandhill Crane (4 flying south)
SNOWY OWL (1-dark)(On the north harbor wall looking north from the
yacht club building)

Mammal Of The Day to the MINK on the very wet Waukegan Beach pier.
Bird-Of-The-Day to the dark Snowy Owl on the rock wall. All you could
see was it's head & top of it's shoulders as the rest was lower than
the top of the wall. Kept swiveling it's head so the very white face
would contrast with the very dark back & top of the head.
Runners-Up to the Red Throated Loon & the female Canvasback.

Birds Of The Day In My Yard to the 70 calling Sandhill Cranes flying
over Park Ridge.

Al Stokie
In NE Lake County today & doing fairly well

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: