Date: 12/6/17 8:27 am
From: Richard Hoyer <birdernaturalist...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Red Crossbill Types 2 (Ponderosa) and 4 (Douglas-fir) at Fort Lowell Park
Dear Birders,

Yesterday, December 5, Fabrice Schmitt and I spent about 1 1/2 hours starting just after 10:00 at Fort Lowell Park, finding 39 species. We heard and saw RED CROSSBILLS several times. At one point two groups of about 9 each flushed from the pines along Glenn Rd. and my recordings confirmed they were Type 2 (Ponderosa Pine) and Type 4 (Douglas-fir). They eventually merged into one flock and disappeared. But even in the field it was obvious each group was of a different type and when they merged you could still easily tell that there were two call types. Type 2 has a slightly musical "trt" while Type 4 has a much drier and slighly higher "twit." They look even more different in a sonogram. I uploaded my recording to the eBird submission at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40931493, and eBird presents the sound file you can see the sonogram. Subsquent flyovers of individuals over the next hour were all Type 2.

Not so incidentally, we did not manage to connect with the Couch's Kingbird, finding only a single Cassin's Kingbird repeatedly. From eBird reports it's still there, but it moves around. We returned in the afternoon for another hour and still coudn't find it.

Good Birding,

Rich
---
Rich Hoyer