Date: 12/6/17 6:47 am
From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Red Crossbills in Tucson – Documenting the Types
Just to add two things to the post below.  First, when making sound recordings with my camera (a Canon "bridge" with superzoom), it's helpful to take the lens cap off and hold the camera still.  The autofocus makes noises that show up clearly on the recording.  With the lens cap on, the camera keeps trying to focus, and of course if I move the camera, it refocuses on whatever I'm pointing at.  The recording might still be identifiable, but the quality can be improved.  So maybe with some other cameras, you can can get a better recording by taking the lens cap off and holding the camera still--or turning the autofocus off, if that's more convenient.
Second, the eBird article that Richard Hoyer linked to below not only gives information on identifying the sonograms, it asks you to upload them to eBird and send the authors a link to your checklist for use in their research.  They'll also help you with identification.  For those who don't use eBird, I'm sure the authors would be grateful if you e-mailed them recordings or sonograms.

I'm just hoping a Red Crossbill will show up here in Española so I can do that.
Jerry Friedman