Date: 12/6/17 5:40 am
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] The Yellow-throated Warbler in NEW HAMPSHIRE AND MASSACHUSETTS
Just to be clear, the Seabrook Wastewater Treatment plant is most
definitely in New Hampshire.  All of the access road and the buildings
and fences are in New Hampshire.  It would certainly be odd for a town
to build a wastewater treatment plant in an adjacent state!

The state line is very close, however.  It is not marked and is
therefore open for discussion.  The treatment plant is on an island in
the Seabrook/Salisbury salt marsh.  There are state line granite markers
in the salt marsh, but it's difficult to use these to judge how it
crosses near the treatment plant.  It is believed that most of the Red
Pine forest at the end of the access road and toward the back and left
is in Massachusetts; however, any birds along the access road including
those birds in the Red Cedars (junipers) along the road and the short
white pines by the office buildings inside the fence are in NH.

When Jane and I first found this bird on December 2nd, it was high in
the Red Pine forest and we chased it toward the back edge of the pines
where we photographed it.  These trees are believed to be clearly in
MA.  Later, the bird has been flying back over to the short white pines
inside the treatment plant and this is where it has most reliably been
seen.  These short white pines are clearly in NH.  Amazingly, this bird
has been following a similar foraging pattern as a female HOODED WARBLER
that Jane and I found here back in late November and early December 2010!

OF SIGNIFICANT NOTE - THIS BIRD HAS BEEN PROVEN to be the SAME BIRD that
was present at Odiorne Point State Park 14 miles to the north and last
seen on or about November 30th!!!  Thanks to Jason Lambert for the
photographic analysis of unique abnormalities on this bird.

Thus far, the workers here have been tolerant of birders birding along
the access road only.  PLEASE DON'T ABUSE THIS PRIVILEGE.

1) Bird along the access road or red pine forest only
2) Don't block trucks or any part of access road
3) Don't go inside fenced in area
4) Obey causeway traffic light
5) Let other birders know if there are problems

Thanks,

Steve Mirick
Bradford, MA