Date: 12/6/17 3:16 am
From: 'Willick, Doug' <doug.willick...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Belated report for Santiago Park (Hammond's Flycatcher etc.)
On Monday (4 December), I joined Shawn Nielsen in birding Santiago Park (in northeastern Santa Ana). The main highlight during this visit was a Hammond's Flycatcher, found by Shawn, in the western half of the park (i.e., the portion west of the Santiago Street pedestrian bridge). The bird was in a row of landscape vegetation (shrubs and low growing trees) along the south side of the lawn bowling facility. Given this late date, I would expect this is a wintering bird. The bird never vocalized, but was otherwise surprisingly cooperative. Otherwise, things were fairly quiet-the Plumbeous/Cassin's type vireo, and the female type Summer Tanager that are presumably wintering in the park were not detected on this visit. A Sharp-shinned Hawk was seen circling over the far eastern end of this relatively long, linear park, and two or three Japanese (type) White-eyes were seen near the visitors center. Although these white-eyes are still much scarcer in the Santa Ana/Orange area than, say, in Newport Beach or Costa Mesa, it appears they are continuing to establish themselves further inland in recent years.

Doug Willick
Orange, CA

Join us on Facebook!