Date: 12/5/17 6:39 pm
From: Richard Hoyer <birdernaturalist...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Santa Catalina Mountains Red-backed Junco, Lewis's Woodpecker,
Dear Birders,

Today, December 5, Fabrice Schmitt and I birded a bit at the General Hitchcock Campground area in the Santa Catalina Mountains N of Tucson. One of the first birds we saw was a MOUNTAIN NORTHERN PYGMY-OWL (~100 toots/minute), responding to my imitation in attempt to bring in small birds. In the first group of Yellow-eyed Juncos that appeared was a RED-BACKED JUNCO, which turns out to be a continuing bird, which I realized only after doing an eBird search.

We also had a LEWIS'S WOODPECKER, which also turns out ot be a continuing bird according to eBird reports.

There were SPOTTED TOWHEES everywhere, perhaps suggesting a very good breeding year. Same goes for ACORN WOODPECKER and YELLOW-EYED JUNCO.

Finally, two RED CROSSBILLS proved to be the large-billed, SE Arizona/Mexico specialty Type 6.

Good Birding,

Rich
---
Rich Hoyer