Date: 12/5/17 3:27 pm
From: Mark McShane <mcshanebirder...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Interesting Bittern Tricks, Sumter County - 12/3/2017
Hi All,

Jim Ferrari, Jim Hannah, and I birded in southwest Georgia Sunday and we enjoyed a lot of great birds in a lot of places as we birded in six counties. One of the coolest was the AMERICAN BITTERN Jim Ferrari found in the south bed of the Pryor road pond just north of the junction of Pryor Road and Standard Elevator Road in Sumter County. I have seen a lot of bitterns in Georgia but this is the first one I've seen doing a very good quail impersonation while hiding in plain sight! Lots of great birds recently being reported at this location!

Bittern coordinates:
Decimal Degrees (WGS84): 31.934319,-84.006127
GPS: N 31 56.059 W 84 00.368

The eBird checklist with some distant foggy photos taken from Standard Elevator Road:
https://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40882394
If you have a touch screen it's easy to zoom the checklist for a better look by un-pinching, if not you can double-click on the images for a larger size.

Good Birding All!

Mark

Mark McShane
Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County, Georgia