Date: 12/4/17 7:45 pm
From: JM Maher <jeannemariemaher...>
Subject: [NHBirds] ? possible western Meadowlark

Spent another lovely surprisingly warm day on the coast.
Started at the Seabrook treatment plant where i was able to catch up again with the Yellow throated warbler. Perfect timing as I showed up shortly after the bird did according to two nice Mass Birders who were enjoying the view.
There were many great birds on the coast, the “bright” cape may at Bicentennial (no yellow), Snowy owl still on the coast surrounded by paparazzi , American Pipit at Ragged Neck, persistent Semipalmated Plover in the rack at Rye, no luck searching for the Harlequin (kept coming up with female surf scoters in the distance), but as I was finally calling it a day at Odiorne a meadowlark appeared on a post , that just didn’t seem right. Am suspicious it's a Western due to overall pale coloring (somewhat under appreciated by late afternoon sunlight), lack of “classic" malar white stripe (not sure that is reliable), thin barring on tail, less black on facial features etc.

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40917594 <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40917594>

Jeanne-Marie Maher
Nashua NH