Date: 12/4/17 6:47 pm
From: Charlie Nims <charlie.nims...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Venturing to the coast today
This morning after having been away from NH for over a week, I headed down to the coast, meeting up with Joe Scott. We started at Odiorne SP where along with Rick, a birder from Maine, saw the Yellow-breasted Chat which in drenching sun put on a great show eating winterberry for almost 15 minutes mostly in full view. We also had 5 gull species in the cove including an Iceland Gull and Bonaparte Gulls very close to the shore. Further out, we had a couple Red-necked Grebes and a Black Guillemot. Also, we had a late Greater Yellowlegs in the marsh opposite the first pullout.

We finished the morning at Sunset Farm where we had 9 species of duck including the previously reported Redhead as well as a Eurasian Wigeon. At one point, we had the two in the same scope view. We heard that earlier there had been almost 2000 scaup of which a few remained when we arrived. At one point all the birds were spooked but we could not find a raptor; some of the birds returned.

Finally, later in the afternoon, I had a Snowy Owl along with a couple Horned Larks at Hampton SP.

The weather was ideal, not too cold, lots of sun and no wind. Full reports and some pictures posted to eBird.

Charlie Nims
Bartlett, NH