Date: 12/3/17 5:48 pm
From: Rebecca Suomala <rsuomala2...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Dovekies and puffins - offshore boat trip
Zeke Cornell, Steve and Jane Mirick, and I went on an Eastman's
fishing boat out of Seabrook today. We had a wonderful Dovekie show
with 170 total and close views of birds sitting on the water and in
flight. It was the most common alcid of the day by far. We also had at
least 4 Atlantic Puffins and several others that were probably puffins
but that we didn't see well enough to confirm. We had 5 of the 6
potential alcids, missing only Thick-billed Murre. Black-legged
Kittiwakes were in abundance beyond the Isles of Shoals with a large
feeding group of about 100. It was a great day to be out with
reasonable seas and temperature for December.

Highlights

Dovekie 170

Atlantic Puffin 4

Common Murre 1

Razorbill 16

Black Guillemot 2

alcid sp. 52

Black-legged Kittiwake 258

Northern Fulmar 35

Great Shearwater 1 - ties latest record date

Northern Gannet 29

We started and ended the day with the returning Glaucous Gull in
Seabrook and a Peregrine Falcon in Hampton Harbor. When we returned
the tide was amazingly low, despite being at least an hour before the
official low tide of the "super moon." There were about 80 Harbor
Seals and 5 Gray Seals on the rocks at the mouth of the Harbor. During
our trip we also had a nice number of Atlantic White-sided Dolphins
and two Humpback Whales.

Becky Suomala

Bow, NH

--
To Change your e-mail delivery settings (digest, daily, no mail)
visit: