Date: 12/3/17 4:59 pm
From: Eric Hough <thebirdwhisperer22...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Pileated Woodpecker in Catron County, NM
There are a few extralimital eBird reports of Pileated from southwest Kansas (Dodge City) and western Oklahoma, although wanderers from the eastern population would seem to be more expected to show up as a vagrant following wooded river corridors on the Great Plains into eastern New Mexico or eastern Colorado. As of yet, neither NM or CO have any Pileated records. For one to show up in southwest NM, I would think a bird from farther north might be more plausible, especially given the movements of many other montane species further south than usual this fall, presumably due to lack of food resources with drought and widespread wildfires earlier this year. Looking at eBird, the nearest populations of Pileated to the north would be the Yellowstone area of Wyoming or Sawtooth Mountains of southern Idaho. In Arizona there is a hypothetical, unsubstantiated report of one from the North Rim of the Grand Canyon from 1935 (Monson & Phillips 1981) and the Utah Bird Records Committee’s website lists several unsubstantiated sight reports from across the state (a supposed specimen noted by both of the above sources from Bluff, UT in 1892 was apparently mislabeled, according to the UBRC).

White-headed Woodpecker is also thought of as mostly sedentary, yet one was found in the Spring Mountains/Mt. Charleston near Las Vegas, Nevada, east of the nearest population in the southern Sierra Nevada (these locations separated by Death Valley). It would seem a Pileated certainly would be able to cover some ground/air if it was motivated to.

Of course we’ll have to see if this report can actually be substantiated. If you’re in the area and hear or see something resembling Pileated, please take photos or get a recording with your phone (most smartphones have a “voice memos” or similarly named app that comes with the phone…don’t hesitate to use it!).

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ