Date: 12/3/17 4:34 pm
From: Betsy Checchia <betsy.checchia...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ -- Las Cienegas NCA Today -- White-tailed Kite and LOTS of Sparrows
Spent the morning at Las Cienegas NCA. I was hoping for a White-tailed
Kite, and found one right away on the road down to Maternity Well. The
area around the well and (dry) pond was a sparrow/towhee bonanza -- Canyon
and Abert's Towhee, and Rufous-winged, Grasshopper, Chipping, Brewer's,
Black-throated, Lark, White-crowned, Vesper (by far the most numerous),
Savannah, Song and Lincoln's Sparrows. Added Dark-Eyed Junco down in
Empire Gulch. If my math is correct, 47 total species today.

An interesting note -- the water in Empire Gulch was flowing across the
road near the lower parking area, which I've never seen before.
Considering how dry it's been, I assume this stems from the changes in flow
following the fire in the spring.

Betsy Checchia
Tucson, AZ