Date: 12/3/17 10:24 am
From: John T. Brooks <john...>
Subject: [GABO-L] Bald Eag les - Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area
My partner Todd Fibus and I saw a pair of bald eagles in Chattahoochee Rover National Park yesterday (Saturday, December 4) from 11:00-11:45 AM. We saw one bird last Sunday at the same location and same time (thanks Jeff Madsen). We returned today and saw two adults now. Easily seen from the shore near post E16 and also from the overlook between posts E10 and E14 (see link to map below). Today, one bird spent most of the time in the tall pine tree on the small island in the river directly below the lookout point between posts E10 and E14. The other was working the shore trees and occasionally settling down in the shallow shoals in the river. By noon, they were both gone. I searched the trees on both along shores pretty carefully with binocs and didn’t see a nest. Perhaps they are nesting elsewhere and feeding at the river at this location; indeed, I am wondering if they could be the same pair spied by Drew Whitelegg and Stan Chapman at Peeler Road reservoir today. Hope we may have nesting pair inside the perimeter! The link below takes you to the trail map and shows the trail posts. https://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/TrailMapPalisadesEast.pdf <https://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/TrailMapPalisadesEast.pdf><https://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/TrailMapPalisadesEast.pdf <https://www.nps.gov/chat/planyourvisit/upload/TrailMapPalisadesEast.pdf>

-John Brooks (Brookhaven, GA)

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>