Date: 12/3/17 4:46 am
Subject: American Golden-Plover, Roseate Spoonbills, White Pelicans, Avocets, Prairie Warbler, sparrows, ducks - Yawkey Wildlife Center (restricted access)
Yesterday's shorebird survey at the Yawkey Wildlife Center produced
some things I have never seen before. Arch McCallum and John Cox
joined me and were both very helpful to the effort. We were sorry
Will Post came down with a cold the day before and could not join us.

One "first" was a December AMERICAN GOLDEN-PLOVER. It was foraging
in a drained ricefield impoundment and showed a very thin + delicate
bill, dark cap, pale supercilium, and lack of dark axillary patches.
It also had pale plumage highlights that at times appeared slightly
buffy and I am sure on a less cloudy, dim day would have looked buffy
or slightly golden. I got some distant documentary photos in the dim
light. I was unable to get a raised-wing photo but Arch and John
watched it through scopes and saw that key feature while I was working
on photographing it. We got to compare it to adjacent Black-bellied
Plovers and the differences in bill proportions, head shape, etc. were
stark.

Another "first" was a Piping Plover feeding in a drained ricefield! I
have never seen a Piping Plover in such a setting. When we first saw
it, the combination of the unexpected location and some plumage
anomalies had us really intrigued. But there doesn't seem to be any
other possibility than Piping Plover. It was a PIPL in all respects
but had legs that at times appeared yellowish and other times appeared
very pale pink/tan. It also had dark coloration along the folded
edge of the wing - something going on with primary wear or something.
It also had more gray coloration on the face than expected - between
the eye and the bill, etc. It was hanging out with lots of
Semipalmated Plovers, Dunlin, and Western Sandpipers in a newly
drained ricefield 1.3 kilometers from the nearest beach as the plover
flies. Its presence there might be from the astronomical tide that
had flooded most of Sand Island - a traditional shorebird (and PIPL)
high tide roost at the mouth of Winyah Bay (1.3km from the
impoundment).

Some cloudy-day documentary photos of the Golden-Plover and ricefield
Piping Plover are on my Flickr page:

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__flickr.com_photos_offshorebirder2_&d=DwIBaQ&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=sXCfbKsaEd06VaNcyMMPljRqsHZN_A4bEC6JhX5hLeU&s=kxP02NLGBDHLDhGObun_NdL0yUW6l8j3LBUicaPfVYE&e=

flickr.com/photos/offshorebirder2

Other highlights included Roseate Spoonbills (on both Cat Island and
South Island), American Avocets, American White Pelicans, a nice male
Prairie Warbler, scope views of a Nelson's Sparrow, Seaside Sparrows,
huge numbers of wading birds (1000s of White Ibis), Wood Storks,
Glossy Ibis, good numbers of Bald Eagles, and more.

Unfortunately we dipped on the Eurasian Wigeon that has been present recently.

* Like Jeff Lewis' report from Pea Island, there are a lot of ducks
present at certain highly favored sites in coastal SC. We had well
into 5 figures of ducks of the following species: Wood Duck, Gadwall
(thousands), American Wigeon, American Black Duck, Mottled Duck,
Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail,
Green-winged Teal, Redhead, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup,
Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser, and Ruddy Duck (thousands).

We had 17 shorebird species for the day without making it to the beach
- Black-bellied Plover, American Golden-Plover, Semipalmated Plover,
Piping Plover, Killdeer, American Avocet, Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Willet, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, Least
Sandpiper, Dunlin, Short-billed Dowitcher, Long-billed Dowitcher, and
Common Snipe.

A nice but tiring day in the field.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!