Date: 12/2/17 5:40 pm
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Belated Douglas/Washington Co.- 12/01
  Similar to Paul, I also forgot to post last night.
  Yesterday morning before heading out to bird, I happened to glance at the feeder outside my "breakfast nook" window.  Within a small flock of American Goldfinches was a female COMMON REDPOLL.  The REDPOLL was the only visitor to my feeder as I had breakfast this morning (12/02) before work.
  Back to Friday, I zipped off to Carter Lake first.  I thought at first that the LONG-TAILED DUCKS had since departed.  However I found two (2) lingering birds.
  I then headed north to the Boyer Chute area (Washington Co.) and P49.  After viewing a flock of Icterids, I sat back in my vehicle ready to leave.  Just then a charm of five (5) COMMON REDPOLLS descended on a small stand of weed seeds.  However, they did not stay long.  Venturing further down this road, I had an additional seven (7) COMMON REDPOLLS fly over.
  This is the area where the large flocks of Redpolls were in 2012-early 2013.  If you happen to go looking for them here, keep in mind that the Krugers (the only residents on this road) will often creep out to the end of their driveway in their vehicle to see what these birders are doing on their quiet road.
At Boyer Chute I ran into a gentleman named Joe with a long telephoto lens who upon leaving the area was taking photos of a juvenile perched calurus (Western) RED-TAILED HAWK.  He informed me that a few months ago he had viewed Short-eared Owls in the vicinity of the wildlife refuge
  My last stop of the evening was the Krimlofski Tract. Here I tallied a fair amount of species including at least four RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS, a pair of WINTER WRENS, FOX and SWAMP SPARROWS.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!