Date: 12/2/17 4:20 pm
From: Stephen Mirick <smirick...>
Subject: [NHBirds] NH Coast ( Yelllow-throated Warbler IN SEABROOK, Yellow Warbler IN RYE, Gnatcatcher, Cape May, etc.)
Remarkable birds for the beginning of December including continuing
birds and bizarre twists.  Some photos and discussion:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stevemirick/

And...from South to North along the coast
YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER - 1 IN SEABROOK in pines at wastewater treatment
plant.  First heard and spotted by Jane (Her 2nd YTWA find this year!).
It wandered back and forth along the MA/NH state line.  We watched it
mostly in the tops of the Red Pines in the forest to the left of the
entrance road, but was later seen in the short white pines inside the
fenced area of the treatment plant to by the office building.  While it
is tempting to think this might be the same bird that has been in Rye
(13.6 miles to the north).....which seems to have disappeared as of a
couple of days ago....it is just as likely or, or more likely that this
is a different bird.

Glaucous Gull - THE Glaucous Gull has returned to the bathhouse in
Seabrook.  My data suggests that this bird has been returning to this
exact same spot each winter since November 2008, when I aged it as a 2nd
or 3rd winter bird.  So that would make it about 10 or 11 years old!

CAPE MAY WARBLER - Bright male continues in lone red pine just north of
the parking lot at Bicentennial Park in Hampton.

BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER - 1 Continues from the same bushes and pines at
the intersection of Central Road and Rt. 1A in Rye.  The exact same spot
it was seen last weekend, and the exact same spot where the Spotted
Towhee was a few years ago.  Now the first EVER December record for NH.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1 hanging around with the gnatcatcher in Rye.

Gadwall - 1 female in Eel Pond in Rye.

Pied-billed Grebe - 1 in Eel Pond in Rye.

YELLOW WARBLER - 1 at Odiorne IN RYE!  In Red Pines near bath houses.
Amazing that this bird has now appeared in the exact same pine trees
where the Cape May, Yellow-throated, and Pine were earlier in the week!
Meanwhile, the Yellow Warbler in  Hampton seems to have disappeared.  My
1st December and 3rd December record for NH.

Steve & Jane Mirick
Bradford, MA