Date: 12/1/17 5:03 pm
From: David Suddjian <dsuddjian...>
Subject: [cobirds] DFO launches a Colorado Big Year in 2018!
Dear CoBirders,

The Denver Field Ornithologists are preparing for an extra special 2018,
and you are all invited. DFO will do *a Colorado Big Year in 2018 based
solely on species found on planned DFO field trips*. Great field trips are
a hallmark of DFO, and our offerings in 2018 will be better than ever.
January field trips are now open for registration, with 16 (!) trips
offered that month. Visit here:
https://dfobirds.org/FieldTrips/UpcomingTrips.aspx

Why do a club Big Year? First, we are going to have a lot of fun! Second,
we will help more birders find more birds, and have opportunities to visit
new places. Third, it puts our collective knowledge to the test, as we plan
trips in advance to encounter many expected target species, and to position
ourselves well to find rarities. It will be a challenge! You can read more
about the Big Year on p. 5 of the December *Lark Bunting*:
https://dfobirds.org/LarkBunting/LB.pdf

In 2018 DFO will offer more long distance trips than usual, with some
overnight trips. We will reach out to all corners of the state, and offer a
chances to find many of the special birds of Colorado. But our success will
depend not only on planning and our great leaders, but *on all the
participants*. Each trip is a team effort! So check out the January field
trip offerings at the link above, and sign up for a trip or two, and plan
to join the fun through the year. All DFO field trips are free and open to
all (as space permits), with pre-registration required.

Hope to see you out there,

David Suddjian
Littleton, CO