Date: 11/30/17 7:53 pm
From: 'Lanny and Robin' <snowbunting...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Glaucous Gull in Platte County 11/24/17
Nebraska birders,

On Friday, November 24, Lanny and I birded a couple hours at
Lakes North and Babcock in Platte County. We drove on the
road around the lakes early in the afternoon. The wind was
very strong. Among the birds seen were a few Bald Eagles and
a few Herring Gulls.

As I was scanning a mixed flock of mergansers and gulls, I saw
a gull flying that was different. I got a good look at its top
side when it banked. It was uniformly light tan colored with no
dark wing tips and no dark tail band. That attracted my
attention so I watched it for a while. When we got a little
closer, we could see that its bill was light colored. Just
before it landed on the water it dropped its legs and we could
see that they were light colored also. When it landed next to
Herring Gulls, we could see that it was larger.

We ruled-out Iceland Gull because it was larger than Herring.
We ruled-out Glaucous-winged Gull because of the light-colored
bill. We could not see if the bill had a dark tip. We decided
that it must be a first winter Glaucous Gull. North central Lake
North.

Robin Harding
northern Kearney County

Nebraska Ornithologists' Union http://www.noubirds.org

Posted by: "Lanny and Robin" <snowbunting...>

[IMAGE]

Visit Your Group

* New Members 1

* New Photos 11

Yahoo! Groups • Privacy • Unsubscribe • Terms of Use

Join us on Facebook!