Date: 11/29/17 6:15 pm
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Three Quail Day
Hi birders: Made a trip to Buenos Aires NWR Refuge today. Was mainly looking for quail, and, somewhat surprisingly, found three species. On the Arivaca-Sasabee Rd, I flushed two groupings of Montezuma Quail, probably about half way between Arivaca and Rt. 286. Gambell's Quail were easy to see around the Visitor's Center; Cassin's Finch were in the nearby trees. Taking Pronghorn Drive in a clockwise fashion, and taking the second left, on the advice of one of the Wildlife employees, I stumbled across Scaled Quail down that road. Thinking it would be possible to take a picture, I tried to track them for a bit, and we all know how that turns out.

I am a birder first, and a bird photographer second, and I actually have great shots of Montezuma Quail from Texas, but have yet to be successful getting any kind of shot a Scaled Quail even though I have seen them many times. If anyone has any advice on perhaps a stakeable area to try to get that shot without, of course, harassing the bird, I would be happy to know about it. Have, within recent months tried Lake Cochise and the Willow Tank in Portal. Thanks. Good birding, Thor

Thor Manson

Green Valley.