Date: 11/29/17 1:58 pm
Subject: Hatteras Pelagic Trip on Dec. 28(29) and other winter trips
We are planning a pelagic trip from Hatteras on Dec. 28 with a weather date the following day. Space is still available. We have run a few other trips in late December, but it’s not one we do every year. We are hoping to find Great Skua and a variety of other seabirds that we don’t see on our spring and summer trips, such as Northern Fulmar, Red Phalarope, Black-legged Kittiwake, Razorbill, and perhaps some other alcids. We have seen all of these species here in late December as well as Great, Sooty, and Manx Shearwaters, Pomarine and Parasitic Jaegers, Dovekie, Atlantic Puffin, and Thick-billed Murre. If we go to the Gulf Stream, we might see Black-capped Petrel, but we are primarily focused on the cooler shelf waters on our winter trips.

We also have several winter trips planned for next year. Those dates are Jan. 27(28), Feb. 10(11), Feb. 17 (18), Feb. 18 or 19, and Feb. 24(25.) These are also from Hatteras or possibly Wanchese depending on the weather. These trips can be better for alcids, but the December trip is probably the best chance for kittiwakes.

We run all of our winter trips aboard our own boat, the 56’ Stormy Petrel II, and we have been using this vessel since 2007. Last winter we re-powered the boat with cleaner, quieter diesel engines and we are looking forward to getting back to running winter boat trips.

The ocean off Cape Hatteras is usually teaming with seabirds in the winter such that we see thousands of birds each trip and there is always something to look at it. We get close looks at Northern Gannets, and there can be a nice variety of gulls. Iceland Gull and Little Gull are seen annually, and we also get Glaucous and California Gull on occasion. There is an abundance of photo ops with the gulls and gannets.

For more information about these and other trips that we operate, please visit our website- www.seabirding.com/

Trip reports from recent years can be found at our blog site- seabirding.blogspot.com

You can also call me at (252) 986-1363.

Thanks,

Brian Patteson
Hatteras, NC