Date: 11/29/17 9:38 am
From: Justin Rink <spindalis79...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] Common Redpolls/Rusty Blackbirds- Douglas Co. - 11/28
  Yesterday I did quite a bit of birding around the Omaha area (Douglas Co.).
 While viewing waterfowl through my scope at Prairie View Lake RA (Bennington area) I soon heard a mash of harsh nasal noises. I looked up to see a flock of 50+ COMMON REDPOLLS materialize.  The flock swirled around the lake for about two to three minutes as I observe them.
 My last stop of the day was at Glacier Creek Preserve where I spotted seven (7) RUSTY BLACKBIRDS (FOS) that flew to the bare canopy of a row of trees.  Another highlight here was while counting a number of American Tree Sparrows in a shrub, an immense cloud of COMMON REDPOLLS soon took form and headed straight toward me.  Due to the size of the flock, my first thought was Lapland Longspurs.  However as they flew closer, the small size of these birds was evident, as was the familiar harsh nasal chit-chit vocalization.  I estimated 60 birds, but this is a conservative count.  In the profile view, the number was possibly closer to 100.  The flock soon disappeared out of sight.  If you notice, none of these COMMON REDPOLLS stopped at any point.
  On the edge of a cornfield in the same area I observed close to 70+ Mourning Doves indulging on the food source.
  Toward the end of the evening I tried for a Short-eared Owl in this area.  However I knew my chances were slim to none when a pair of GREAT HORNED OWLS began calling to each other in the middle of the prairie.
Speaking of Redpolls-

On Thanksgiving Day (11/23) at Carter Lake I ran into Mary Clausen who was attempting to get some shots of the LONG-TAILED DUCKS.  While there, a single COMMON REDPOLL was audible as a flyover.  Later, while viewing the lake from near the Purple Martin houses, another REDPOLL was heard as a flyover.
  FYI- The six LONG-TAILED DUCKS were still present yesterday morning as well, but very few other waterfowl was observed.
All reports from yesterday's locations can be found on eBird.
Good birding.
Justin RinkMidtown Omaha, Douglas Co., <NEspindalis79...>

Join us on Facebook!