Date: 11/28/17 6:25 pm
From: 'Diana F.' <diana.fru...> [arlingtonbirds] <arlingtonbirds-noreply...>
Subject: [Arlington Birds] Nature Walk at Cummings Park
Sounds like a good opportunity to help the Monarchs.

Diana Fruguglietti
Woburn

Nature Walk, December Milkweed Planting Walk
December 2 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm

On December 2nd, our monthly nature walk will consist of planting milkweed
seeds throughout the park in areas where milkweed does not yet grow. Not
only is milkweed a lovely plant with fascinating pods of perfectly folded
“parachute” seeds, but it also is essential in the lives of the monarch
butterfly, a species in decline.
The monarch is the remarkable species that migrates back to a SINGLE
hillside in Mexico annually in vast numbers. The spot is actually protected
to keep the migration viable.

But throughout North America, monarchs are in serious decline. The reasons
are varied, perhaps having to do with widespread use of pesticide and more
intense use of herbicide in farm areas.
What we can do is to encourage this plant to grow and spread at Mary
Cummings Park, which can be pesticide-free stopover for migrating
butterflies, looking to lay eggs.

Here’s what we will do:

1. Take already gathered and donated milkweed pods and isolate the seeds.
2. Take the seeds to likely areas in the park that currently do not have
milkweed growing.
3. Poke holes in the ground with a big steel bar!
4. Close the hole in to protect the seed.
5. Mark each planting area with a post and a sign so we can see if our
seeds come up next spring.
6. Photograph each site with iPhone and make
<http://marycummingspark.org/event/nature-walk-december-milkweed-planting-walk/#>
a map of the locations.

As always, we go ahead in all weather other than steady rain. You need no
special tools except gloves and boots; we supply the tools and seeds.
Hopefully, we can come back in future summer walks and look for monarch
butterflies and their caterpillars:
Jon <Sachsjonsachs...>,

Join us on Facebook!