Date: 11/28/17 5:29 pm
From: JM Maher <jeannemariemaher...>
Subject: [NHBirds] warblers and owls, what a combo on a cold day
As noted in Steve Mirick’s earlier posting, it was a fine (though initially quite cold) day on the coast. Clear weather, minimal wind till mid-day, and activity that is befitting such a sunny day (except that it is late November)!

No luck with the Pacific Loon despite glass like conditions on the water. Soon joined by Steve Mirick, and Jim Berry, but even with such great sleuths no luck. We soon moved on to relocate the “new chat” found by Steve in prior days along the brush along 1A in Rye. At Odiorne, we caught up with Katrina Fenton (who had the "chat cove chat" already). We were all able to get great views of the Yellow throated warbler, Pine warbler, and a Cape May! Not bad for late November!

Katrina and I tried for the Yellow throated Vireo (Odiorne) , and the Orange crowned (near Beach Plum) but were not as successful.

The rest of the afternoon I searched the racks, beaches etc in search of exciting birds. No luck with late white rumped sandpipers, or relocating the Semipalmated Plover I had two days ago (across from the stakeout for the towhee). The best “find" was a southbound Snowy Owl, my first of this fall/winter.
My final attempt was at Katrina’s late afternoon find of a short eared owl south or Ragged neck at dusk, but I was unable to duplicate it, but witnessed a spectacular fall sunset while hopefully watching.

Somehow I always manage to spent the whole day at the coast…

Jeanne-Marie Maher
Nashua NH