Date: 11/28/17 3:41 pm
Subject: Broad-billed Hummingbird update
The female Broad-billed Hummingbird is still present at 299 Duck Road,
Southern Shores, NC. As far as I can tell, she has never even been out of
the yard since she showed up. She doesn't visit the feeder very regularly,
but with a little patience, you can see her. Please do not park along Duck
Road (Highway 12), pull into the driveway and park at the end of the
driveway by the house (straight ahead, if possible, in the gravel). Head to
the NE corner (right side) of the house, where the stairs are located and
hang out under the stairs. There should be a "guest register" on the table,
plus two chairs. From there you can see the saucer feeder that's on the
four-way feeder pole and, through the spaces between the steps, the feeder
on the second story window. Please do not go beyond, or up, the stairs.
There is no need to knock on the door, either. Please do not play
recordings of any kind.

When the hummer is not at the feeder, she is usually hidden back in the
thick cover (grape vines and Leland Cypress) right beside the house,
sometimes chattering like a Ruby-crowned Kinglet (beware, there is a real
RCKI in the yard, as well). She also feeds up in the oaks beside the
driveway.

If you can't park in the driveway, I would suggest the shoulder of the road
along 5th Avenue, but it's possible that you could be ticketed.

Good luck!

Jeff Lewis
Manteo/Southern Shores, NC

Join us on Facebook!