Date: 11/27/17 3:27 pm
From: Maureen Blackford <mblackford...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Rio Rico Golf Course (Pima County) Crested Caracara
At 8:20am this morning, 3 of us saw a single Crested Caracara at Rio Rico Golf Course in Pima County.   It was standing on the rim of the sand trap, just to the left of the pond by the club house.   It then moved west over the hill,  and we found it shortly afterwards, in a dead tree on the driving range, (in front of the nets).   (As we were leaving the grounds around 11:15, it was soaring high in the sky.)   There were 28 black vultures on the posts of the net and on the driving range.
I also heard and saw a flock of approximately 30 red crossbills flying over the pond near hole 15.   And,  near the pond, we saw a Cattle egret, green heron, belted kingfisher..all in trees in the West side of the pond.
It was a birdy area; 44 species seen.   Rio Rico Golf Course is open to birders, requesting a $5 donation.  There's no golfers on Monday morning... And there's lots of area available to bird even when the front 9 is open to golfers.
Maureen BlackfordSahuarita AZHome Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds