Date: 11/26/17 5:30 pm
From: DeeDee DeLorenzo <deedeedelorenzo...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] WEAZ surf scoters and red-necked grebe
Marge Penton and I headed to Davis Dam mid-afternoon today (11/26) to look
for the three surf scoters and red-necked grebe reported by Chris Mccreedy
yesterday. We stopped by the Davis Dam spillway area in Davis Camp, just in
case. We found a raft of 61 BUFFLEHEAD with one male HOODED MERGANSER
hanging out on the edge. There were also two SPOTTED SANDPIPER working the
rocks near the small fishing pier. We then drove up to the road that
crosses Davis Dam and eventually found the RED-NECKED GREBE plunging after
a large school of very small minnow-type fish that kept jumping up out of
the water. This became quite entertaining especially when 5 WESTERN GREBE
and 2 EARED GREBE joined the fray. After counting some of the more common
birds of the area, we tried scanning one more time for the scoters. As we
did, two jet-skiers came racing in creating figure eights around two
non-wake buoys near the area we had been watching the grebes. Darn! But,
then as luck would have it, there they were - 3 SURF SCOTERS. Believe it
or not, I think the 2 two jet skis had actually chased the scoters into
the bay. It's supposed to be quite windy here tomorrow, but if you get up
to Lake Mohave early in the day, you may be able to find the scoters and
grebe.

Good late fall birding,
DeeDee DeLorenzo
Bullhead City