Date: 11/26/17 5:08 pm
From: Betsy Checchia <betsy.checchia...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ -- Sycamore Reservoir, Catalina Mountains today
I spent all morning hiking from the Gordon Hirabayashi Recreation Area down
to Sycamore Reservoir and on down to upper Sabino Canyon today. There
weren't a large number of birds, but there was surprising variety.
Sycamore Creek was pretty much bone dry, but there was still flow over the
dam, and several pools of water above the dam. I staked one of these out
for about 30 minutes and was rewarded with a Slate-colored Fox Sparrow,
Black-chinned Sparrow, a very pale reddish Song Sparrow, at least 3 Hermit
Thrush, and 2 Spotted Towhees, among others. Also had 3 singleton
Woodhouse's Scrub Jays -- one just over the hill from the parking lot, one
at the Reservoir, and one just before the upper Sabino Canyon drainage.
Plus a Golden Eagle and some Montezuma Quail. 42 species total -- list is
on eBird.

Betsy Checchia
Tucson, AZ