Date: 11/26/17 3:01 pm
From: 'Blake Allison' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Waterfowl on the Connecticut River Sunday Afternoon
Driving home from Hanover to Lyme on the river's Vermont side via US Route 5 I experienced a significant uptick in river waterfowl activity from what had been scant previously.
A half mile below Hanover's Wilson's Landing, a flock of 140+/- Canada geese was seen spread out over a distance of 50 yards on the water. An impoundment on the Norwich side near Butternut Hill Rd. had a flock of 20+/- dabbling mallards.
Up at the Ompompanoosuc River outflow, I happened upon Chris Rimmer who was scoping out the same flock of Canada geese I had stopped to see. They were strung out across the river from the Norwich side railroad tracks over towards Hanover. He had a count of 180+/-. Also present on the inlet between US Route 5 and the railroad tracks were a half dozen hooded mergansers. Chris said he earlier had seen a pair of common goldeneye in the Wilson's Landing area.

Nothing else to report from the "Pompy" to E. Thetford except a half dozen crows foraging in the stubble of a corn field adjacent to the Lyme Bridge.
Blake Allison
Lyme, NH 03768-3400