Date: 11/26/17 12:09 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Ketring & Blackmer Lakes - Arapahoe
I spent the morning (11/26) at Ketring & Blackmer Lakes in Arapahoe Co. I
was looking for geese and found heaps of Cackling and Canadas but none of
the other three at both spots. Also around were...

At *Ketring*, a Swamp Sparrow & Marsh Wren around the small marsh near the
lake. Plus a calling Hermit Thrush in the brush around the line of trees
near the marsh. I thought I might have finally found the screech owl that's
at Ketring, after spotting chickadees and a jay scolding into a tree cavity
on the top of a tree stump. But whatever was down in the stump was
invisible from my vantage. Audio of the Marsh Wren & Hermit Thrush on my eBird
checklist <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40743851>.

At *Blackmer*, many Brown Creepers (about 7). The best spot for these and
other montane birds today was along the High Line where it runs into Quincy
Ave. This "intersection," which is just inside the Denver (Urban) CBC
circle, has been good for Pygmy Nuthatches on two of my past three or four
visits there. Today, there was also a Townsend's Solitaire, three of those
creepers, and a Mountain Chickadee among the Black-capped Chickadees,
White-breasted Nuthatches, and Red-breasted Nuthatches. The birds were all
very vocal and seemed to enjoy being in the trees in a fenced in area on
the south side of Quincy, just west of where the trail hits the road. A
Hairy Woodpecker, near the entrance of Kent Denver School, was another
highlight and my first of the fall.

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO