Date: 11/25/17 5:42 pm
From: <jacksonwrxt89...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Yellow-throated Warbler: A Close Call
Joe Bourget and myself went to Odiorne Point State Park first thing this morning to see the famous Thanksgiving YELLOW-THROATED WARBLER. When we arrived we quickly found Jason Lambert already photographing the bird in a single pine tree near the edge of the rocky shoreline. We were delighted to see it actively flittering around the tree while chipping away, seemingly enjoying the beautiful morning. Things took a terrifying turn as out of nowhere a Sharp-shinned Hawk came bombing in and made a go at the Warbler. It looped through the air around the tree only 20 feet or so in front of us in pursuit of the poor little guy. Eventually the Warbler darted to another pine tree with the Hawk still hot on its tail, but it seemed to shake the Hawk somewhere in the dense canopy. The Hawk perched in the tree and looked as if it was trying to find where the Warbler went before it gave up and flew off towards the science center.
It was at least another hour before the Warbler was relocated and I suspect it probably tucked away somewhere to collect itself. While it’s always exciting to get to see these rare scenes of nature, we all wished the Hawk could’ve chosen some of the several Chickadees or Goldfinches in the area instead. We were just happy that the Warbler survived the ordeal and many more people got to see it. It was also nice to see a lot of familiar faces. Gotta love how these little rarities get everyone together.

-Dylan Jackson
Sunapee

Sent from my iPhone