Date: 11/25/17 2:29 pm
From: Eric Hough <thebirdwhisperer22...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] CEAZ: Hassayampa WINTER WREN, etc.
Back on 11/23/17 Chrissy Kondrat-Smith and I thought we heard a WINTER WREN near the picnic area at Hassayampa River Preserve near Wickenburg (Maricopa Co.), but it wasn’t until today (11/25/17) that it was confirmed and audio documentation was obtained by myself, Usha Tatini, Matteo Vaiente, Dana Epstein, and Chrissy Kondrat-Smith. The bird was in the same area, skulking in the dense brambles and wood piles at the back of the picnic area. While we were there, Chrissy spotted the RUFOUS-BACKED ROBIN briefly flying off. Earlier in the day she reported having the RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS, an apparent COMMON BLACK-HAWK, a flyover EVENING GROSBEAK, and flyover RED CROSSBILLS. The group of 13 people on my bird walk this morning had 1-2 SORAS calling from the marsh at Palm Lake, a HAMMOND’S FLYCATCHER calling in the swampy area at the west end of the lake, and a couple of flyover AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES calling; a calling PACIFIC-SLOPE FLYCATCHER and two DUSKY/GRAY type FLYCATCHERS giving “whit” calls, two GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS, two BROWN CREEPERS, and a few flyover CEDAR WAXWINGS along River Ramble trail..

The Preserve is open on Wednesday-Sunday (closed Monday-Tuesday) from 8am-5pm. More information on the Preserve can be viewed on their Maricopa County Parks’ website at the following link:

https://www.maricopacountyparks.net/park-locator/hassayampa-river-preserve/

Good birding,

Eric Hough
Wickenburg, AZ