Date: 11/25/17 1:45 pm
From: Tommy DeBardeleben <debardelebentommy...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] AZ: San Carlos River below Talkalai Dam (24 Nov 2017)
Hi Everyone,

Today I continued exploring Gila County, and I decided to bird on the San
Carlos Reservation. A ten dollar permit is required to bird on this
reservation, and that permit can be purchased in nearby gas stations in
Globe. I birded at Talkalai Lake, San Carlos River south of Talkalai Lake,
and San Carlos Lake.

The noteworthy highlights for the day all came from birding the San Carlos
River just below Talkalai Lake Dam. The river has Gila County to the west
and Graham County to the east, fun for county birding. I stuck to the Gila
side, and birding this river is extremely challenging. It's hard to get
around anywhere without climbing over a log, going through tons of
branches, or taking an "easier" way out by walking through cold river
water. I don't know if I could call it fun. The surrounding habitat near
the river is a challenge to walk through too in order to get to the river.
Luckily, I had some highlights. The best was a skittish BROWN THRASHER
along the side of the river who gave me several looks after I initially
found it, enough to get diagnostic photos. I also had an out of season
NORTHERN BEARDLESS TYRANNULET calling from a dense mesquite bosque. Two
SWAMP SPARROWS and flyover RED CROSSBILLS were also of note.

Good Birding,

Tommy DeBardeleben (Glendale, Arizona)