Date: 11/22/17 6:27 pm
From: Maureen Blackford <mblackford...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ Sahuarita AZ (San Martin de Porres) Lewis's woodpecker
I found the Lewis's woodpecker today (Wednesday 11/22),  previously reported at San Martin de Posse Catholic Church, north of Sahuarita Rd on Santa Rita Rd in Sahuarita AZ.   It was on the telephone phone closest to the church parking lot (just south of the lot).  I saw it as 3:45pm...It remained there about 15 minutes, flew up like a flycatcher and back to the top of the pole...then flew off to the northeast, over the pecan field.  (Never seen this flycatcher type activity before.)The reported Merlin was also there after the woodpecker flew off, sitting a few poles east of the end pole.  It was chased off by ravens, ready to land on the poles with  rodent in claw.  But it flew south and landed on a pole, seen while exiting the church lot.

Maureen BlackfordSahuarita, AZHome Page: https://list.arizona.edu/sympa/info/aznmbirds