Date: 11/22/17 12:07 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] Lots of (the Expected) Finches - Arapahoe Co.
On Sunday (11/19), I visited Richmil Ranch Open Space in Deer Trail (east
Arapahoe). Near the entrance, in a field full of seedy wildflower stalks,
were two or three dozen American Goldfinches and my first Pine Siskin
(about five) in Arapahoe this year. There were also two or three dozen
American Tree Sparrows with them. For a time, a kestrel kept watch over the
tree sparrows, but it left its low perch over the sparrows when a harrier
glided by. I was a bit surprised not to find any Northern Shrikes at the
open space or on any surrounding roads.

Today (11/22), near the eastern entrance of Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve
in Greenwood Village were two dozen or so House Finches (plus more around
the preserve) and about 10 American Goldfinches. These are, in my
experience, relatively high numbers for both at the preserve.

Try as I might, I couldn't will any of these birds into redpolls, though
that field at Richmil looks promising...

- Jared Del Rosso
Centennial, CO