Date: 11/21/17 8:40 pm
From: Arlene Ripley <arleneripley...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Holy Trinity Monastery, St. David: Rufous-backed Robin, Pine Warbler
This morning I went back to the Holy Trinity Monastery to try and
photograph the EASTERN BLUEBIRDS and CEDAR WAXWINGS I saw yesterday (as
I had stupidly forgotten to put my camera in the car!). I was very glad
I returned as there were several surprises waiting for me in the same
spot. Not only were the Eastern Bluebirds present, there was also a
small flock of WESTERN BLUEBIRDS and a flock of about 10 waxwings. The
trees were hopping with YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS,
several RED-NAPED SAPSUCKERS and a PLUMBEOUS VIREO. There was a lot of
activity in the hackberry tree including a RUFOUS-BACKED ROBIN. Below,
near the small stream a bright yellow warbler popped up and I quickly
snapped a few photos before it and the robin disappeared. It turned out
to be a male PINE WARBLER! All this activity took place along the line
of trees to the east of St. Isadore pond, between the trailer park and
the pond where a small vegetation-choked stream runs below the trees. It
was, by far, the birdiest place in the whole area. The birds seem to fly
between the pond and the line of trees. Today I didn't walk down to the
river as I did yesterday. There is no water there so few birds along the
trails. I returned to the spot after checking the other ponds and could
not relocate the robin or the warbler.

Photos of the robin and warbler are in my eBird report:
http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/email?subID=S40654625

Arlene Ripley

--
Dragoon Mountains foothills, west