Date: 11/21/17 8:09 pm
From: Alexander Hamilton <ispidina.picta...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] {AZNMbirds] Couch's Kingbird continues Tuesday late afternoon 11/21/2017
Well, on the plus side it was a pleasant afternoon, but the Couch's
took a bit of work (3-1/2 hours of crisscrossing the park). I was
finally able to re-locate the bird just outside the far SE corner of
the park along the N side of E Glenn Street at 4:30 PM.

I had heard the Couch's was seen along the east side of the park along
an entrance road that leads into the park and a housing development of
sorts to the east. A Cassin's Kingbird was the only promising sign,
but was ultimately a bust.

Long story short, I have no idea where the bird was hiding, but I
don't feel like it was in the park. Kingbirds typically aren't
skulkers... and there were several of us looking... but, for what it's
worth, I think (today at least) that the bird was hanging about in the
neighborhood(s) to the east, or at least the extreme eastern edge of
the park. So... if I were looking, I'd start at the far SE corner of
Fort Lowell Park... and then I'd probably walk the Pet Cemetery of
Tucson entrance road directly across the street to the south. There
are some newer homes on the east side of that road with some
ornamental trees with red berries (sorry, I don't know my trees). I'm
sure I heard a Cassin's in one of them which caused me to walk across
the street. However, the trees are really thick so I really couldn't
see into them. But I did see the Cassin's fly out and land along the
utility line running parallel to the Pet Cemetery road, and as I was
walking back to the road a second kingbird landed on the same line.
Of course, once I got back to the road there was only the Cassin's.
But it was only about a minute later when I saw the Couch's perched
back across Glenn (north side) next to the park.

Neat bird. I watched it from about 4:30-4:45 (based on photo time
stamps) before I had to head south.

Ron Batie
Rio Rico, AZ