Date: 11/20/17 10:12 am
From: Pamela Hunt <phunt...>
Subject: [NHBirds] Note on the Rollinsford Sandhill Crane
Greetings NH birders,

It has come to our attention that some individuals have recently attempted to capture the injured Sandhill Crane in Rollinsford, with intent to convey it to a rehabilitator. This is not a recommended activity, and as much as it may upset some of us, the best course of action is to leave the bird alone. A key reason for this approach is that the crane, while injured, is fully capable of flight and appears able to feed itself. The potential risks of further injury to the bird during any such attempts far outweigh any benefit that may result to an otherwise healthy bird. NH Fish and Game is monitoring the bird's condition, and will work with rehabilitators should their assistance be required.

Thank you for your consideration in this matter,

Pamela D. Hunt, Ph.D.
Avian Conservation Biologist
New Hampshire Audubon
84 Silk Farm Road
Concord, NH 03301

(603) 224-9909 x328
<phunt...><mailto:<phunt...>

___

Please consider making a donation to support the work of the Conservation Department<http://nh-audubon-nature-store.myshopify.com/collections/program-support/products/conservation-department-general-support>

"We have a hunger of the mind. We ask for all the knowledge around us and the more we get, the more we desire."
- Maria Mitchell, 19th Century American Astronomer