Date: 11/19/17 5:53 pm
From: Mark Krenitsky <mkrenitsky...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Sierra Vista EOP - 19 November 2017
A dozen birders came out for the Sierra Vista EOP walk despite the chilly
morning temperatures...the birds warmed up with the birders as the day went
along!

Our final species total was 53 species, with 9 species of ducks.

The most productive part of the trip was the Moson Rd. walk...only one pond
had water, and that's where we found the bulk of the day's waterfowl. There
were 15 Pintails, 50 American Wigeon, and about 20 Gadwall...we got a good
look at them before they were flushed by a Red-tailed Hawk.

This led to the highlight of the trip - a Peregrine Falcon attempted to
take a duck, and then circled and attacked the Red-tailed Hawk! The
Peregrine continuously dove and harassed the Red-tail, driving it off for a
good two minutes. The Red-tail finally fled the scene, and order was
restored.

Other highlights included:

The continuing Great Egret was a nice find.

Some of the group got to see a Virginia Rail along the dike edge, but it
fled into the rushes before we could all get a look.

2 Least Sandpipers were still present. They and a lone Killdeer were the
only shorebirds.

Harriers were numerous...we saw at least 5 different individuals.

We heard a number of Marsh Wrens, and at least two were seen by some of the
group.

We found two separate flocks of American Pipits, and got good looks at
both.

And last, but certainly not least, approximately 250 Yellow-headed
Blackbirds.

Mark Krenitsky
Sierra Vista, AZ