Date: 11/19/17 11:50 am
From: Rosie Watts <pinyonjay...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Midtown Tucson - Red Crossbills near Fort Lowell Park
While sitting outside for some tea, we had (2 male and 1 female) Red
Crossbills land in our tall old mesquite. They sat and moved around for
about 5 minutes. They disappeared shortly after, but oddly, didn't move
over to our large old Aleppo pine, which has a decent cone crop.

I got one decent photo of the male and female together; and a couple photos
of the female from underneath (pretty much straight overhead). If anyone
would like them for any "study" purpose, please contact me off-list and
I'll be happy to share them.

I heard one tiny little "call-ish" that first alerted me to look up. One
syllable, and although we've been listening to their calls and songs, I
couldn't in any way categorize the note as anything identifiable (other
than it sounded "different" than our regular customers). ;-) Sorry no ID
help there.

Hopefully, they'll return to check out the cones sometime in the future.

Happy Birding!

Jim and Rosie Watts
Tucson