Date: 11/19/17 11:41 am
From: Ryan Winkleman <rswinkleman...> [OrangeCountyBirding] <OrangeCountyBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [OrangeCountyBirding] Re: Bobolink - Santa Ana River
Given that there are Northern Red Bishops on the Santa Ana River, I thought
it might be helpful to do a small juxtaposition showing a female/winter
Bobolink and a female Northern Red Bishop. Given how strongly these can
resemble each other, eBird reports should please include photos if possible
or adequate descriptions of the bird to rule out any misidentification with
a bishop.

Thanks to Jeff for donating a couple photos. My 3-year old son could
probably draw a better picture of a Bobolink than the photos that I've
obtained in the past...

Comparison here: https://flic.kr/p/DyzqGE

Note also that Bobolinks have pale/white back stripes, not visible here,
which Northern Red Bishops do not have.

Ryan Winkleman
RSM

On Nov 19, 2017 11:13 AM, "Ryan Winkleman" <rswinkleman...> wrote:

> For those not out chasing first county records here or in SD, Mike Huang
> found a Bobolink on the Santa Ana River yesterday. The bird was at
> GPS 33.85494, -117.82142.
>
> Ryan Winkleman
> RSM

Join us on Facebook!